Top Social

Entertainment Of The Month May 2016

Sunday 29 May 2016
This past month I've spent a lot of time catching up on the films I've wanted to watch since they came out but somehow never quite got around to seeing, it happens to all of us when adult life gets in the way. I've gone ahead and talked more in depth about 4 films this month that I felt were the most note worthy.

sweet allure entertainment of the month may 2016






















The Revenant (2015)

I had heard a lot of great things about this film and it was the film that finally got Leo his Oscar but I'm sad to say I found this film a little disappointing. Firstly I'd like to say that the cinematography in this film is stunning, every scene is beautiful and I cannot find fault with the visuals at all, it genuinely looked like the bear fight was real, however I found it really hard to connect with Leo's character and really feel for him. I'm usually a sucker for my emotions but I didn't have any real emotions for this film, which makes me really sad to say. I think I'll eventually rewatch this film alone without Nick (and not on an airplane) to see if that changes my opinion but for now, it was a very disappointing 3 hours of my life.


Pixels (2015)

This is a very Adam Sandler film with a typical hero formula but I'd heard such bad reviews about this one I wanted to make up my own mind. First thing I want to say is that I grew up loving video games and now am lucky enough to work in the video game industry, so my views might be a teeny bit bias but this film didn't deserve the awful reviews it got. It was very cheesy but what else would you expect from a Sandler film? The plot line was a little far fetched and the visuals were suitably impressive but overall I really enjoyed this. It helped it had two of my favourite actors in it, Josh Gad (Olaf) and Peter Dinkledge, they both always make me laugh. I wouldn't call this a must watch but it wasn't a complete waste of an hour or two.


Jungle book (2016)

I have to admit I haven't been the most enthusiastic about the live action reboots of the Disney films, I think it's because I have such a good memory of them from my childhood I'm scared of them being ruined, so I was quite cautious about seeing this. How very wrong I was. I absolutely loved Junglebook, it appeared a little darker than the originals which I actually quite liked about this, Disney films are quite dark and I thought that it was very well portrayed. The only thing I didn't really enjoy was the snake scene, something about Scarlet Johannsons voice as the snake didn't quite fit properly for me and seemed a little out of place but the casting for the other characters were pretty spot on. I loved the way each of the characters retained their eyes, looking into King Louis eyes was like looking into the face of Christopher Walken. I just hope I remain as pleasantly surprised with the other remakes, specially Beauty and the Beast which is my all time favourite.


Inside out (2015)

I've been meaning to watch this for absolutely ages and I have to say I think this film is perfect. The film follows the life of a little girl from birth but from the emotions in her head, the memories she creates and just generally growing up. I cried for pretty much the entirety of this film and it's such a beautiful and creative way to help children understand their emotions. It's films like this that makes me visualise sitting with my own kids, watching this and hoping it helps them understand themselves a little better. It just makes me feel like this film might one day help me and my kids be a little more honest and open with each other, which is pretty impressive to get from a film. I highly recommend you watch this, children or no children.


I have also watched a bunch of other stuff this month but I really felt like these were the ones worth discussing. I'm hoping next month will have a few new additions too as we plan on going to see the new Xmen Apocolypse film at the start of June and I'll be ticking a few films off my 'been meaning to watch for ages' list.

Besides TV and Film I've been listening to lots of Podcasts, I wrote about My Current Top 5 Favourite Podcasts here earlier this month, I really enjoy listening to them at work as it helps pass the time.








Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Instagram

1 comment on "Entertainment Of The Month May 2016"
  1. I wanted to see Jungle Book, sort of. Even though it just killed me because, hello, no. No live action! I was going to give it the benefit of the doubt, but really ScarJo as Kaa? Nope. No, thanks.

    I seriously need to see Inside Out though! I refuse to watch or see anything related to it, but when I can't? So many feelings!

    // Growing Up Molly

    ReplyDelete