Top Social

Halloween: Fright Night Films.

Wednesday 28 October 2015
I watch so many horror films, it's Nick and I's go-to choice of film, we've seen the very very bad, the super cheesy and the occasional not-so-bad surprise. I thought for Halloween I'd put together a few films we recommend for if you are staying in and watching some scary films with partners or friends. There are some classics, some thrillers and a couple of odd ones, but I hope you find something you like amongst them all!

Nosferatu (1922).


Nosferatu (1922).

If you haven't seen Nosferatu and you are a fan of horror films, I highly recommend it, it's basically one of the first horror/vampire films. A lot of the references we have today came from this film and it's eerie, creepy and has a great score (if you can find the original!).

~




Purge (2013)

I saw this film in the cinema and when I watched this it scared me because I can totally see this being a real thing one day. The concept is that crime is legal for 1 day a year where anything goes (murder, rape etc) so that it's purged from your system and helps bring crime to a minimum for the rest of the year.

~



Splinter (2008)

'A voracious Splinter parasite that transforms its still living victims into deadly hosts'
A standard horror film set in an out of town gas station but with a little spikey twist.

~



The Strangers (2008)

This film genuinely scared the crap out of me the first time I watched it and I had to turn it off, after Nick pestered me I eventually got around to finally watching through the entire thing. This is about people harassing a couple but what scares me the most is seeing a scene and then realising that something creepy was their the entire time. (I'm not sure that makes sense, but you'll see what I mean if you watch this.)

~



Sinister (2012)

This is very much a 'jump scare' kind of film but I don't jump easily at all and this defo had me jumping. It's about a writer who discovers a box of home movies in the house he's just moved into, about a murderer he is researching, I'm sure you can figure out the rest!

~



Cabin in the Woods (2012)

This film is not what you expect it to be at all, it starts as a typical horror film, some bad stuff happens, try and escape the bad things, then random mental things happen that you wouldn't expect. Very bizarre film.

~



Maniac (2012)

This is an Elijah Wood film about a guy who is obsessed with mannequins. Throughout the film you start to find out more about his character as he helps a young artist with her exhibition. I really enjoyed this film, its creepy and I really like Elijah as an actor.

~



Can you tell films are hard to explain without giving spoilers? Ha! 

I narrowed the choices down to the list above, I actually made a list of about 20 but when writing this I realised how many there are! Most of the films above we watched on Netflix, so there should be some for you Netflix people out there!

I hope this list is interesting to some of you and has given you something new to watch on halloween all snuggled up ready for a fright! Please let me know if you watch any or let me know your horror/thriller film recommendations!

Post Comment
Post a Comment