Top Social

I Finally Re-learnt To Drive*.

Saturday 23 July 2016
Ever since I passed my test almost 10 years ago (sheesh!) I've always missed the freedom driving gave me, I absolutely loved learning to drive, I had such a fun instructor that I got on really well with (banter!) and all I could think about was the road trip adventures I'd go on once I passed.

sweet allure I Finally Re-learnt To Drive driving learning adventures car cars


It took me quite a few lessons before I was confident enough to go for my test, I think I was ready for a good 10 or so lessons before I decided to give the test a go but I was so nervous I decided to just carry on anyway. I feel like my test had everything a learner dreaded, I had an awful and hella steep reverse around a corner and I also had to do an emergency stop, which I always struggled with for some reason, but I passed with flying colours on my first time and I was excited about potential summer adventures.

But, inevitably real life got in the way, I was 17 and couldn't afford a car never mind the crazy high cost of insurance at that age and months turns into years and then I moved to London for university and you have to be crazy to want to drive there. Before I knew it I was 26 and hadn't driven a car for almost a decade. I felt like if I didn't start again soon I might never do it, so I decided last year to change this.

I've mentioned it a few times here on my blog but over the last few months I've been re-learning to drive which has been such a terrifying yet exciting experience. The first few times I went out with Nick (who was absolutely crapping his pants) for a few spins around the block to get me used to it again. I was designated driver over Christmas to take advantage of the almost car-less roads to get accustomed to the car and the roads in general which soon turned into the occasional commute to and from work.

It wasn't until a couple of months I took the ultimate leap and went out in the car by myself, for the first time ever, and drove myself to and from the train station so that I didn't have to get Nick up at 7am on a Saturday. It was absolutely terrifying and I think I  must have sweated buckets but getting there and back in one piece felt so incredible it was unreal, I text my dad straight away with excitement (yes I'm still that girl that texts her dad immediately after she does something cool) and I've been doing solo journeys here and there since.

I can't wait to be confident enough to tackle the motorway, which scares me but only because I've never done it before, so that I can go on more road trips, visit friends and go home to see my family more often. Driving gives me such freedom around when I can leave or arrive, I'm not restricted to the time tables of the trains or buses, public transport is one of the things I hate in life, I hate smelly rammed buses, am I the only one that gets 'the weirdo' always come and sit next to them? At least with driving the only weirdo I have to sit next to is Nick, hur hur!

I think the first trip I want to be brave enough to do is to vist Yorkshire Sculpture Park to see the KAWS exhibition, which I've been wanting to go to for aggeessss. It ends in December so I've got plenty of time to work up the courage, eek!

Are you learning to drive? Or just really enjoy road trips? Let me know in the comments!


sweet allure I Finally Re-learnt To Drive driving learning adventures car cars

*This post is in collaboration with BookLearnPass, which has all of your learning to drive needs covered but as always, all thoughts, opinions and lame jokes are my own.
6 comments on "I Finally Re-learnt To Drive*. "
  1. Well done on getting out there and driving again! I imagine it must be hard when you have not done it in so long. I am currently learning to drive. I have my test in two weeks and am terrified! Haha. x www.aimeeraindropwrites.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are still some things that I need to practice, I stalled this morning because some silly man came flying around the corner and i had to break so hard but i'm getting there! Practice makes perfect! xx

      Delete
  2. I have had 3 sets of driving lessons and had to stop for health reasons every time and now they know I'm ok to drive now so need to bite the bullet and book in again!
    Hope your first road trip is everything you want it to be.
    Carrieanne X
    Beautiesunlocked.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw well done lovely! I am so glad to hear you are building your confidence back up! Unfortunately I don't know when I will be able to drive due to mental health problems but maybe one day xx

    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on learning how to drive again! This post gives me confidence BC I passed almost a year ago and haven't really driven since then. Like you, I moved to London for uni and I'm definitely not crazy enough to want to drive there. I think I'll have to get back into the swing of things though! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fair play for getting back up on the horse again! It seems to be going well anyway!
    I feel like when you're learning to drive it shows how quickly time just goes by.
    I mean you passed your test at 17 and now suddenly you're 26. I started doing lessons in 2013, took a break because of my leaving cert exams and never got back to them.

    Ellen,
    http://fishnetsxd.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete