Top Social

The Importance of Defining Your Own Terms of Success.

Tuesday 5 July 2016
I've been listening to the Ladies who Lunch podcast a lot recently and one of the topics about jealousy and envy really stood out to me. One of the things Ingrid said was that everyone has their own definition of success so we shouldn't compare ourselves to other peoples versions of success.

This is such an important topic when it comes to life and relationships but today I want to talk about this in terms of blogging.


Sweet allure The Importance of Defining Your Own Terms of Success.




It's very easy to get swept away in the blogging world with stats/figures/numbers and we often think that the higher the number, the higher your worth, this is re-enforced all around us and it's so easy to fall into the trap. Lets get something straight, your success is not determined by someone else's opinion or views, you define your own worth, no-one else.

I understand that for some people having high numbers of people following them on twitter is something that makes them feel successful, but to other people success is about having one person read your blog or even just having a place to write, grow and learn. I certainly don't considers myself more successful than any other blogger because I have X amount of followers here, or Y amount of readers a day because for me that's not what blogging is about.

I recently saw a poll on twitter asking out of interest how many views you get on your blog each day, the lowest category was '50-100'. I am by no means throwing any shade around here, because that really isn't my thang, but it did make me think how many people might see that poll and feel shit about their blog because they fall below the 50 views? I don't hit that number everyday or even most days but for me that isn't even something I think about, but for someone else that could really make they feel a bit worthless.

So success really is relative, an aspect that someone feels makes them really successful might be something you have no interest in and that's totally okay. I just really want to re-enforce to the world that you are the person that defines if you are successful or not and you shouldn't let other people define that for you. It's also totally fine for your definitions of success to change over time, maybe you started blogging just wanting to write and practice, maybe it developed to getting your blog seen by 10 people, maybe now it's about talking and interacting with your readers. But those are terms that you have defined for yourself and you shouldn't get sucked into the world of other peoples definitions of success.

You do you and don't worry about what everyone else is doing because comparing yourself to someone else's definition of success breeds jealousy and self doubt and it's really not worth it. You need to own it and surround yourself with people who support you, not the amount of followers you have.

There is only one you, you are unique and amazing. So stop comparing apples to oranges and just define your own terms of success because comparison is the thief of joy.

Personally, my definition of success is the new friends I've made, the interactions with people and being able to talk openly about things I'm passionate about, that's what is important to me right now, not the amount of followers I have.

Stay sassy.



If you've enjoyed reading this, you might also enjoy my opinions on being 'beach body ready' .


10 comments on "The Importance of Defining Your Own Terms of Success."
  1. Really nice post! Sometimes its hard not to compare yourself to other bloggers but honestly if I counted on my pageviews being high to keep me blogging, I would have stopped long ago! haha & I totally agree with you, interacting and making friends with other bloggers around the world feels like success to me! :)

    Renee | Life After Lux

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a truthful post! To me sucess is one heartfelt comment, that is worth more than a thousand views. Screw the stats! :)

    Giulia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post and definitely agree that you define your own success no one else x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post and you are so right. I'm happy if one person has read my blog in a day, and I've made some amazing friendships on line. It is hard sometimes not to compare yourself to others.
    Sharon xx
    rosieloveslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a lovely post :) Thankyou for writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As someone who's just getting back into my blog after a couple of months away from it, this is really encouraging to read and something great to go forward with! Lovely post, thank you for writing it :)

    Paris xx
    http://lifeinflorals.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! So much truth. Also, 'you do you' is one of my favourite sayings. I use it, ALL THE TIME. Haha. x www.aimeeraindropwrites.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this and agree so much. This happens so much in all aspects of social media & it's important not to get swept away as you say. I'm happiest when I've written something I'm proud of, or someone leaves a comment that makes my day & it's definitely important to remember that :)

    Katie | http://kaleidoscopepeonies.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This! Whenever I see something like the poll you mentioned it makes me feel kinda sad because not everyone can reach even what they class as small numbers! I know not to get wrapped up in it, but it's quite disheartening when someone slightly "bigger" than you doesn't consider your numbers to be worth anything! This is a lovely post :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said! What a lovely written post. I write my blog for me and I have to say I don't look at page views anymore. I did and I found I got that obsessed I forgot to enjoy it so I took a step back.

    Carrieanne x
    Beautiesunlocked.com

    ReplyDelete