Top Social

3 Disappointing moments from the Harry Potter series.

Thursday 25 February 2016
Last weekend Nick and I finally finished watching the Harry Potter series and as much as I friggin love it, there are some major things that disappoint me. As a point of reference Nick hadn't read all of the books or seen all of the films so we decided to watch through them all together. 

I guess I should put a spoiler warning here, but if you haven't watched Harry Potter by now you need a slap!
Firstly, it's a real shame that they never touch upon all the passion Hermione has for the welfare of house elves and magical creatures. This is quite a big thing for her character and actually becomes part of her job in the future and I think it's such a shame this isn't touched upon in the films. Could you imagine all the young kids learning about the welfare of animals and creatures through Harry Potter? I feel it's such a shame for the younger generation or none book readers to have missed out on.


Then next up is the heart wrenching moment you realise that Fred has died. At this point in the book I cried my little eyes out and was devastated that a Weasley had died, however in the film this moment doesn't get much air time at all. I was speaking to Nick about the film after it had finished to get his opinion on the ending and I mentioned how sad it was that Fred  had died and he said 'did he? I didn't even notice!'...my point exactly!! After thinking about it a little more, when Harry see's Fred's body it's kind of the defining moment that shit is real and he goes off to face Voldymort but it still feels like a really sad moment that has been skipped over drastically...besides the badass moment of course where Molly defeats Bellatrix Lestrange.


Then finally, my ultimate disappointment is the end scene or chapter of the book. It was kind of expected that we would want to find out what happened to the gang post Hogwarts, but for me, this last scene feels so rushed and cheesy. Firstly, the names that Harry & Ginny call their kids is just ridiculous and so predicable. Don't even get me started on the scene in the film where they are all meant to be 30+ and look about 16...they can animate amazing dragons but they can't make some kids look older?....I am disappoint. To me it feels like this bit was just tacked onto the end as a last thought and was done in the aim of pleasing the fans. I would rather have had something a little more in depth about their lives as something separate, but I guess one can always dream that another book had come out instead...



I still frikkin love Harry Potter despite it's flaws and I am very tempted to start watching through the films again already!

Let me know if anything about the films or books disappointed you! As I'd love to hear your thoughts.


If you enjoyed reading this post, why not check out my '8 Things I Learnt From Re-watching Sex and the City' post.
5 comments on "3 Disappointing moments from the Harry Potter series. "
  1. When I saw the title of this I panicked a little haha but I have to admit, to those who love and have grown up with the books - there were a few disappointments in the movies, including all of your points! The 1st one, I had never really thought about until now but I definitely agree.

    Was this your first watch of them?? I can't count how many times its been now...at least 10! haha It's a series I will never tire of watching.

    Danielle
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with the house elves welfare! That should have been really included in the film! But then, the films will never give you as many information about the characters as the books do and I kind of understand that certain things have to be cut out.
    On the last one I have to disagree. I know most people hate the "19 years later" epilogue but I do like it. I always saw it as a version of how Harry's life could have been if Voldemort wouldn't have existed. Then he maybe would have had more siblings, then his parents would have both been there to comfort him on his way to Hogwarts. I always thought that this was very thoughtful of J. K. Rowling and never thought about it being too cheesy :)
    Patti Shifting Tales

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally Agree with the first point but I actually kind of liked the ending! I think it kind of leaves it open to you to decide shay happens next! It's a bit cringey but nonetheless very enjoyable xx

    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I went to see the last film everyone in the cinema actually burst out laughing at the final scene. It was so unbelievably cringey. I completely understand what you mean about Fred's death but I felt that way more so about Tonks & Lupin's deaths. Their relationship and son were never really mentioned but I guess they can't include everything.

    Roxie | The Beautiful Bluebird

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was always disappointed they missed out all the ghosts! I know Nearly Headless Nick is in the first couple but no Peeves?! Plus Nick just stops being a part of the movies which was annoying.

    The one thing I really hated was how they just didn't explain Fenrir Greyback at all. He's just there, and if you've not read the books I can't imagine how confused you'd be. Also that they didn't ever tell us that Tonks was pregnant - they go to mention it but get distracted! Made Tonks and Lupin's deaths much more sad/a parallel of James and Lily, but in the film it's just glossed over entirely.

    Didn't realise there was so much I didn't like haha! Great post though! Agree with all your points entirely.
    Beth x
    www.adventureandanxiety.com

    ReplyDelete